Don’t miss any updates from Adam's Hypnosis Hub.

lodging recommendations during Rapid Induction seminar

by Scott in Hypnosis Forum · · 25 Replies · View last reply Respond
Scott
Scott

Hello all. I'd like to go to the Rapid Induction seminar in September in Bournemouth. Coming from France, the ferry gets into Poole at 10pm the night before, so I'd love to get any recommendations for lodging in Poole for that night and the next as the ferry heads back out at 7:30 am. Cheap is great. Thanks in advance. 

Scott

Jill Harrington
Jill Harrington

I know that Steve Baxter (course assistant) stays over regularly. I have sent him msg to comment here.

Helen Johnstone
Helen Johnstone

I know The Russell Court is clean, cheap and close by Scott.

Steve Baxter
Steve Baxter

Hi Scott - I am a course tutor at the school and live in North Kent - so I know the hotels in the area well and am always looking for a cheap option. The big problem I usually hit is many of the hotels in Bournemouth only accept 2 or 3 day bookings for popular dates, especially weekends during the high season - but I see you need to book 2 nights so that is fine.

I have stayed a lot at the Russell Court - not in Poole but very near the Days Hotel, but I recently was quoted £350 for two rooms for one night - at what is a nice, clean, friendly but basic hotel, probably 2-3 star. Room rates are usually £40 ish prpn but it was a busy weekend. I shop around and book in advance using laterooms, lastminute etc. A tip is to get the price on these sites then call the hotel direct and haggle - they usually pay a fee to the booking site out of what you are offered. If they don't budge you may get a better room as you have saved them some dosh.

There are a bunch of hotels on what is called the East Cliff - these can be very cheap - I've paid £19 off season in winter, but beware as these are favoured by stag and hen parties and you may not get a great nights sleep.

So - key is book early, use the booking sites and then call the hotel and haggle. Don't make the mistake of waiting until the last minute to get a good deal on a room - Bournemouth is very popular, particularily the hotels round the venue and I have been caught out several times.

For anyone reading this who is attending the diploma course, whilst we are on the subject of hotels (which includes B&Bs) ; you can also do a deal, particularily with B&Bs, and book all your stays for the year in one go and get a good rate - at least getting the whole lot at the lower off season rate. You need to consider what will happen if you pay for the year in advance and then are unable to make any of the dates due to unforseen circumstances.

Scott
Scott

Thanks a lot, that helps. See you then hopefully,

take care,

Scott

Adam Eason Administrator
Adam Eason

Hello Scott,

With regards to hotels and B&B, the following is copied and pasted from a thread in the old forum as posted by previous students. It is really awkward for me to make recommendations as I have not stayed there personally and if it ended up being awful, you may blame me!! 

You can book with the hotel of the seminar, which is the Days Hotel Bournemouth -www.dayshotelbournemouth.com  If you tell them that you are on my seminar, you will be offered a discount too (speak to Nicki in the conference office if need be).

However,  there are many, many other B&B's and hotels in the Bournemouth area that are much cheaper and within walking distance. Bournemouth is a holiday destination for the UK and has lots of places you can stay at.

With regards to hotels, here are some entries from other students that they wrote in the members area, I have not stayed at any of these places, but this is where others have stayed:

Steve - A few of us recently stayed at 'The Safari Hotel' on West Cliff.  It is a B&B run by a lovely couple, Vincent & Lidy.

http://www.safari-hotel.com
(phone: 01202 290782)

Annalise - I booked all my hotels through www.Booking.com and Alpha rooms and got some good deals.  The best are in Jan/Feb where you can pay as little as £15 pppn B & B.  My favourites within walking distance are The Burley Court Hotel (bit dated but otherwise ok) and the Russell Court Hotel  they charge £5 parking but I left my car at the Days hotel)

Stuart - I stayed at and recommended the Boscombe Grange, a basic but clean and friendly B&B that does a fabulous Full English Breakfast, about a 25 min walk from the Hotel. £27.50 a night as I booked 10 months in one go. I also recommend Thanet House which is in the opposite direction, same price and you get to walk along the seafront to the hotel. These both assume the course is at the Days Hotel. You'll need to google the hotels for more detail.

Eddy - I found www.laterooms.com useful.

There are some quality inexpensive options as you'd expect in any British seaside town. Some of which are in Boscombe which is a mile and a bit along the coast from the training venue. The walk in to class along the sea front was always a great start to the day (after B&B breakfast) and the wander back, handy after Zizzi's Calzone and a Peroni or two. www.denewood.co.uk was clean if basic and only £25/night B&B but did the, 'cost more and 3 nights on a Bank Holiday' after I'd been there 3 or 4 weekends so I moved on.

Paul and Debbie at www.boscombegrange.co.uk were my hosts for the final few visits and very nice too. Book direct with them and they throw in breakfast for the same price laterooms do room only.

Nina - It is a very good Idea to book up your stay now as there are lots of stuff going on in Bournemouth all year round and can get very difficult to get a room and check that the price you agreed will be the same all through your stay it is one thing less to worry about.  I stayed in Boscombe at the Lister Hotel £40 a night 10 mins in the car to course Diane the owner was very accommodating with breakfast times and if I wanted the key earlier her number is 01202 394588 mention my name.

This post is for students looking for accommodation while attending Adam's trainings.
A few of us recently stayed at 'The Safari Hotel' on West Cliff.  It is a B&B run by a lovely couple, Vincent & Lidy.
http://www.safari-hotel.com
(phone: 01202 290782)

The rooms are basic, but I found it to be quiet and clean; there is Wi-Fi, and they provide a choice of 'international' breakfasts to get you going in the morning (along with a view of zebras on the Savannah. If you stay here, you'll see what I mean...)

The room costs are extremely reasonable, and I really liked the owners - they were very accommodating.  It's about a 15 minutes to the Marsham Court Hotel by means of a scenic walk along the seafront.

Several students have recommended the following hotel for those travelling from out of town or from overseas:
Tower House Hotel
West Cliff Gardens, Bournemouth, BH2 5HP
01202 290742
www.towerhousehotelbournemouth.com

Mel stated - General hotel advice: When they state they also do weddings then be prepared that they actually DO WEDDINGS on Friday and Saturday and you might have people partying all night. (This happened to me at the Yenton in June.)

Hope that helps get you started. 

Steve Baxter
Steve Baxter

Of those - Tower House is my favourite, I think they charge about £25 pn, and despite being in West Cliff (not East Cliff - I got my East and West mixed up above!) is at the end of a road and does not allow single sex parties so has always been quiet when I've stayed. Nice friendly and helpful staff too.

If I am feeling lazy I'll check out the Russell Court as it is so close to the Days Inn.

Last time I stayed in Poole I brought a tent I camped - mega cheap but not everyones cup of tea :-)

I believe Paul and Debbie have moved on from the Boscombe Grange - I stayed there a lot when they were running it, and really liked it, but is a bit of a walk to the Days, I haven't been there since it changed hands.

Scott
Scott

That's a lot of info, great, thanks.

Hmmm, camping, do you remember the name of the campsite in Poole Steve? As in my picture, nothing more fun than packing up the backpack and tent and heading off to places, it's a good idea.  

Thanks everyone

Steve Baxter
Steve Baxter

Beacon Hill Touring Park - but not sure if this is suitable as it is a way out of town - we were driving. If you are coming on foot you probably want to find one on a bus route to Bournemouth and Poole

Scott
Scott

Thanks, I'll check out the camp grounds in the area. but thanks again for the idea

Stephanie Whitehead
Stephanie Whitehead

Thanks for a very timely thread, as I was just starting to look into accomodation for the 12th before the seminar. At the moment the Russell Court is on Late Rooms at £34.99 without breakfast. Tower House is a lot more at the moment - showing up as £98 on late rooms and on their website.

Steve Baxter
Steve Baxter

Yes the prices have gone crazy over the last 6 months or so - but there are still good deals to be had if you shop around and book early. There are also the travel inn/lodge chains and if you don't mind a walk there is a lot of choice. I used to stay a lot in Alum Chine and have a 15 minute walk to/from the Days Inn - but as most of this was along the seafront I didn't mind at all - great way to start the day :-)

Jill Alldridge
Jill Alldridge

Steve - when were you staying at the Beacon Hill campsite?  That's a stones throw from us!  I can hear the noise of fun and frolics from there when I walk the dog on the heath!  Next time, let me know and you can come round for a cuppa!

Scott, there is another campsite very near the Beacon Hill one, called South Lytchett Manor - http://www.southlytchettmanor.co.uk/index.html  - just another option.

My mother-in-law runs a B&B a stones throw from where you get off the ferry.  I have no idea if she has any availability, and the some of the rooms are a little dated for my taste, but they are very kind and hospitable people, and I'm told the breakfast is excellent!    They don't have a website, but it's called Harbourside Guest House, and the phone number 01202 673053.  It's run by Sonia and Mike Alldridge.

Steve Baxter
Steve Baxter

We came down for Adam's Birthday a few weeks back, was just one night. We met up with the Lallemands and set up camp (I suspect you would have come across Marc 'Only Hypnotherapist in Belgium' Lallemand?)

Though my wife regards it as a victory (she has been trying to get me to go camping for about 5 years...) I don't think it counted as proper camping as we didn't cook food on little stoves or sing camp songs....

Jill Alldridge
Jill Alldridge

Steve, do you mean you didn't sing any 'camp-fire' songs, or did you actually sing those, but just no camp songs, like the 'Village People' etc?  ;-)

Camping can be great fun, but you have to have decent weather...and a decent tent...and a decent wee wee bucket!

Steve Baxter
Steve Baxter

Lol. No songs, Camp, camp or otherwise.

I think peoples attitude to camping can be quite revealing - their flexibility, need for usual comforts and attitude to their absence, appreciation of the great outdoors, how they cope when they wake up at 5am needing a pee.

Some people on the site clearly had missed the point and actually brought their house with them. There was one 'tent' that was probably 50 feet long, 8 feet high and 20 feet wide. It had an outdoor kitchen area with windbreak (mainly to keep other campers out I suspect) and roof, a side covered and enclosed area for the large trailer and a brand new Range Rover parked out front. There was a satellite dish and sounds of TV coming from inside. I'm guessing there were at least 4 bedrooms and a reception room in there.

Gone ever so slightly off topic here...