Don’t miss any updates from Adam's Hypnosis Hub.

Hypnosis In The News

by Adam Eason in Hypnosis Forum · · 906 Replies · View last reply Respond
Adam Eason Administrator
Adam Eason

With this thread, the aim is to just continue to develop a list of reference and news articles and media glare that the field of hypnosis, hypnotherapy and self-hypnosis receives.

Sometimes, the media can advance and enhance public perception of these fields, whereas on other occasions they can misinform and perpetuate myths and misconceptions.

Here is where we'll share these stories and people are welcome to discuss them here on on other threads.

There'll be an immediate spate of them while I set this thread up, but it'll even out as we go along...

Adam Eason Administrator
Adam Eason

This week, there have been a couple of myth perpetuating stories in the media:

Trainee hypnotist forced to call in help after girls at Canadian private school are locked in a trance for 5 hours

and

Hypnosis victims recovered, school urges caution.

Adam Eason Administrator
Adam Eason

A couple of times in recent weeks, I have seen the Great Kreskin asked for his opinion on hypnosis in the news, here is one such story where he was asked for his thoughts on the Chinatown Hypnosis Robberies.

Adam Eason Administrator
Adam Eason

Some of this years celebrity hypnosis beneficiaries:

Anthony Cotton of Coronation Street fame and recent I'm A Celebrity jungle man, used hypnosis.

Coldplay used hypnosis when recording recent album.

Sarah Ferguson reveals true feelings for Prince Andrew under hypnosis.

BBC star Evan Davis uses hypnosis to get to sleep each night.

Adam Eason Administrator
Adam Eason

Here are a couple of stage hypnosis stories that made the public media spotlight in the past couple of years:

Hypnotist cancelled for North Port Graduation party

and this one featuring our own David Days (he has been to our Hypnosis Geek dinners and support events before)

Hypnotist David Days 'Knocked Out' during stage hypnosis show

Adam Eason Administrator
Adam Eason

Here are a couple of articles from the Daily Mail who seem to love writing about hypnosis and hypnotherapy. These are from the last couple of years:

Hypnotism Speeds Up Cancer Op Recovery

Hypnosis Got Me Back In the Saddle

Man jailed after hypnotising student

How I remained drug-free during labour

Milly Dowlers mother begged police to hypnotise her

Adam Eason Administrator
Adam Eason

I had to include this one from last Autumn too: Colombian Magician arrested after hypnotising 41 kids. It made the TV news over there.

Adam Eason Administrator
Adam Eason

Debating the role of Hypnosis in Elite sport, article by the British Psychological Society

Adam Eason Administrator
Adam Eason
I had to share this story from 2009 about the guy who claimed to be stuck to his chair for 12 hours as a result of watching Derren Brown on the TV. This is some major remote hypnotic phenomena if every I saw it! http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/100769/TV-fan-Derren-held-me-captive-for-12-hours/
Adam Eason Administrator
Adam Eason
Thanks to Glenn Goudie for pointing this out to me. Local hypnotherapist helps boys football team: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/hypnotherapist-helps-kids-football-team-871544
Adam Eason Administrator
Adam Eason

Man To Put 400 People Into Trance At Once - for charitable reasons, though not sure about claiming to be 'renowned', I have never heard of this guy. Interesting article though, even if the journalist is riddled with myth perpetuating cliché.

Adam Eason Administrator
Adam Eason

Two major newspapers mentioning this story last year, the gastric band stuff is becoming very good PR for our field:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/7891433/Woman-loses-four-stone-after-hypnosis-co...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/144427/-Gastric-band-hypnosis-lost-mum-four...

Both well worth reading and being aware of. 

The Sun using slightly less PC terminology gave it some coverage too:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3065533/Fat-patients-hypnotised-to-think-thin.html

There were loads of stories in the media about the Gastric Band in the past couple of years and I love the progressive stuff, but I also think that as a result, many readers of these stories end up thinking of hypnosis as "magical" and thinking they'll definitely get the same results when perhaps they'd be wise to know more about the efforts that are also sometimes required in line with the hypnosis, understand the longer-term results of the processes and know that not every single person automatoicially reduces their weight by 4-6 stone as these dramatic cases in the media depict. 

That might sound a bit "nah-humbug" of me, and I suppose the therapists will be able to educate correctly in the face of any false expectation - not that a good amount of healthy optimism is a bad thing, of course. 

Adam Eason Administrator
Adam Eason

Self-Hypnosis helps Tourettes Syndrome. 

Marvellous stuff this. 

Helen Johnstone
Helen Johnstone

Brilliant.  The video tape enables and sets the belief that improvement is possible and achievable with this method and therefore expected. 

Adam Eason Administrator
Adam Eason

Can this guy seriously call himself a Master Hypnotherapist? Is this a fair opinion about Andy Murray's mindset? 

I am not sure: 

Belsize Sports Hypnotherapist Says Andy Murray Is Not Ready To End Wimbledon Hurt

Sharon Snelgrove
Sharon Snelgrove

I thought we were in a position not to make judgements, second guess how someone may be feeling or make suggestions about what is going through their minds. Not only that, but what happened to client confidentiality?

Only Andy Murray knows how he is feeling and what he needs to do to mental repair and prepare himself for his next challenge.

The sooner the press stop printing the nonsense spewed out by self proclaimed 'master hypnotherapists' the better it will be for the rest of us who are going through the right channels to become credible and well educated therapist!

That's it, rant over (climbing down from my soapbox now).